Friday, August 3, 2012

Spiders and Earwigs and Owls...Oh My!

It's that most wonderful time of year again! Harvest!! This year I get to work with my sister which has turned out to be more fun than I thought it would be. We haven't had a lot of driving to do yet, so we got sent out to the potato cellar to do some stripping there. Oh, stripping duct tape off of the huge pipes they tape together to pile the potatoes on top of...not the other kind. We decided to bring some music along today because that task can be less than enjoyable in silence. I brought my docking station and we hooked up some tunes to the only outlet we could find, in the attic of the cellar like 20 feet above us. We had some nice surround sound and it worked pretty well. On our way down the stairs and back into the cellar, we spooked an owl that was living in what it thought would stay a nice quiet cellar. It had no place to go so it flew straight at Jessica's head. She screamed really loud, enough to scare it back into the cellar. The thing was huge. I'm talking like pteranodon size. It flew across the floor and tried to get out the other side which had bars across the door. It finally found its way in between 2 of the bars and flew outside. It was hands down the funniest thing I had seen that day.

We continued pulling the duct tape off the pipe and found that some of the tape was more rotted than the others. I pulled a really old rotten piece off the pipe only to uncover a family of probably 20 earwigs just chillin under it. That pipe didn't exactly get finished. We decided that driving the grain trucks was a lot more fun than battling old tape.

I can only imagine the stories I will be able to tell before harvest is over. So if you need us, just come on out to the farm. We'll be there :)

Fun side note: my mission papers will be here any day now! Feel free to be excited with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment