Saturday, May 26, 2012

What if?

What if we were all raised in a culture that believed in spider preservation? What if we were taught at a  young age that spiders are special and they deserve to be honored in a way. Instead of killing the little creatures, what if we played with them and studied them? As I was splashing water all over my bathroom floor (with nothing else handy) trying to drown a huge spider I saw, I thought these questions to myself. My spider swiftly went down the bathtub drain and then I ran water for awhile to make sure it really went down. I find it interesting that such a little guy can instill such a panic in me. I immediately felt my heart rate rise and panic start to settle in wondering if he would find his way out of the bathroom, into my bedroom, and crawl into bed with me. It wouldn't be the first time because one of his relatives already found my leg and left a pretty sizely scar.

Just so this post wont be all about spiders, I will tell you about the frog I found in the back patio of the pool deck today. Back story: My boss decided to not tell us that the pool was open holiday hours at 9 instead of regular hours, so me and another guy show up at 7:30 as scheduled. We were told to do some yard work out back to make our sun deck pretty, so we both go to work. He got to weed while I leaf blowed off the patio. I came to this corner by the moveable basketball hoop and smelled something super gross. I look down and see half pinned under the hoop some frog legs. I knew no more investigation was needed and I called Josh over and told him to bring gloves. He pushed the hoop back and pulled out a medium sized little guy that had been stuck under there for who knows how long just rotting and dead. His tongue was stuck all the way out (maybe thats how they die) but besides that he was perfectly intact. I wanted to die. Josh of course thought it was awesome and probably played with it for a second before I made him throw it away. Standing a distance away from him of course. Boys are gross. Then when we weeded, we accidentally unearthed a whole entire colony of previously undisturbed carpenter ants. That was a bad idea. Those guys can get really angry really fast. We both ran away and returned with chemicals and a new desire to kill all the wildlife outside. And there is your nature rundown.

No comments:

Post a Comment