Monday, November 21, 2011

Good Ideas

As I mentioned, I got bit by a hobo spider a couple of days ago. The bite area has over time gotten worse, and my neck has become more swollen and very much more sore. My mom said she remembered a way someone once told her on how to get spider venom out of spider bites. The idea is that if you heat a glass bottle and put the part where you drink over the bite area, as the bottle cools it will create a suction and pull whatever is in you out.  So, we boiled some water with a coca cola bottle in it, and went to work. She punctured a little hole in my neck (which was as fun as it sounds) and put the top of the bottle over the bite. I patiently sat with my neck in excruciating pain and could feel blood leaving the infected area as the bottle cooled. My mom decides it had enough time and goes to pull the bottle off, but I couldn't even handle the slightest movement it hurt so bad. So, needless to say I start screaming and writhing in pain, and my mom starts laughing.  So then I start laughing which means moving, which means more pain.  We are both laughing so hard that we can't breathe, and I still have a bottle tightly fastened to my neck. We couldn't break the vacuum seal this bottle had to my neck, and I couldn't stand any sort of movement or pressure. I really thought we were going to have to go to the emergency room or something. I have 0 pain tolerance and this was getting out of control.  Meanwhile, my neck is growing in size and a giant hickie is forming under the bottle. I am pretty sure this was one of the dumbest ideas we've ever had.  Finally I get the sense to pull my neck skin towards my face and break the seal. I am still on the mend, but hopefully that dang stuff is out of me! It is a lot of work being resourceful!

It looks way worse than this now, but I am tired of pulling my hair out each and every time I put a band aid on, so we're leaving it up to your imagination.

Moral of the story: don't sleep in the same room with a pack of spiders. And if you do get bit, leave it alone.
Thanks and goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. I can't even think about this story without laughing uncontrollably :) hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I hated your room for that sole reason...spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word. I was laughing so hard as I was reading this that Mitchell looked over at my screen and asks, "What the heck is that?!"
    Just so you know...I nearly died from lack of oxygen because I was laughing so hard.
    Love you Schmemily.

    ReplyDelete