Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Energizer Bunny

Holy cow! What a day. I am so exhausted I can't even know how much longer I can hold out before I just crash to the floor and never move again. As I mentioned yesterday, I went to the Viking Man race today to help my aunt out with the massage station. All the triathletes came to us after their run and flopped down on the table for awhile until we got their muscles worked out. I got there at 9 this morning and I just now walked in my door at 6:30. I have been giving massages non-stop for almost 10 hours. Throughout the day, the actual massage guy who knew what he was doing gave me all sorts of tips and tricks for massaging all parts of the body so I am almost a professional. He said if I come over to his office he will give me a massage at a reduced price. That means I am loved. All in all, I can pretty much say this day was a success.  The best part was the very last guy to finish. He and his brother finished way after every one was done, all the tents were put away, the timers had left, and the finish line had been taken down. I went up to him and offered to massage him and he said he would love that. His feet were so blistered and some of the blisters had broken, so my aunt and I dragged the massage table over to him and worked on him for awhile. After he was done, his son (college aged, pretty cute, non married) said hey dad, don't worry I got your tip money, and handed me a 20 dollar bill! That was incredibly exciting for me. I do think all this exercising I am doing is paying off in the long run! (haha  pun intended)

Very important side note that I forgot to add: If you have never massaged runners who have trained for months and months, you are missing out on a special kind of person. I am speaking of the guys in particular. Those bodies are in dang good shape! The race rules are that your number is written in permanent marker on your calf and thighs (a very great job that I got to do last year) and your other calf has your age on it. It is a little humbling when the 56 year old guys run through in the beginning and they smoked everyone else. It is the greatest when the 25 year olds come with no wedding rings and big smiles and even bigger 6 packs! Granted they are married to working out 6 days a week for 7 hours every day, but once they finally realize that running isn't everything I think we'd be good to go. Ok, yeah, sure I was focused on the job and not on them. We'll go with that. I love having connections and being one of the volunteers they turn to every year!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love that this kind of work is no work at all for you.

    ReplyDelete