Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Paradise

The network on my phone is down for the moment, so I can't get any pictures up yet. This is the first time I have had interent, so I will give you a rundown of what's happened so far. We left Monday morning at 2am for a 7am flight in SLC. We arrived in Georgia around 12 and had to wait till 3 to leave to Puerto Rico. We got to PR around 7pm and my uncle and grandpa were waiting for us at the airport. As soon as I stepped outside my hair grew about 7 feet in fluffy-ness. They don't joke around about the humidity here. Monday night was really hot and muggy for awhile, and then there was a lightning storm for the rest of the night. I woke up this morning at 5 and it was raining. It has been raining ever since. Hurricane Maria has been working her way through and she has not left very happy people in her wake. Most of the roads that we drove through today had pretty intense amounts of water on them. Sometimes it just drizzles outside and sometimes there was a full blown avalanche of rain happening. I wasn't aware it could rain that hard. It wasn't scary or anything, no houses were blown down that I know of. It has been very warm outside and the breezes feel really good. Just now, at about 6, the sun came out for the first time that I've seen today and that feels different. The roosters are going crazy outside because they are confused that it has been dark all day and the sun is just now showing. They are vocalizing their concerns in the backyard. I almost prefer the rain just because it cools it down a little. We drove from one side of the island all the way over to the other side (which took about 2.5 hours) and we are at this really nice house on top of the mountain that shows everything. I wish my pictures would cooperate. I found a coconut in the backyard that had fallen awhile ago so it was nice and big. I, having never opened a coconut in my life, found a pick ax, and began working on it. I wasn't aware their was a method of opening such a monstrosity. My 84 year old great uncle came over to me and he took out a machete that was hanging up near by and chopped that thing open like he was born in the jungle. I was majorly impressed. It was super tasty and we have little plates of coconut sitting on the counter and we just eat it whenever we feel like it. I won't go into detail about the lizard problem here, I will save the pictures for that. I will try to get my phone to stop being so emotional, and see if I can get some pictures on here tonight. Buenos tardes muchachos!

No comments:

Post a Comment