Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Somebody Call 911!

I was late to work today. Why you may ask? Because I was blocked in my driveway by a police officer. As I walked out the door, she (I never have liked girl cops, nothing against them its just I like the guys better) informed us that Eli's new birthday present (electric scooter) is illegal to ride in the streets. We have no sidewalks in front of or near our house so I don't really see how it is fair that he can't ride in the road for a second. She was having none of that nonsense. Then, to make this moment of coming face to face with a police officer at 7:30 in the morning, and the fact that she startled me and I didn't really expect to see a cop car pulled up behind my car, all together made me drop my bagel. In the grass. Face down. Mornings are hard.

It has been brought to my attention that I am a creepy person. As I have been following my strict CPT5K running schedule, I am a fairly predictable person when it comes to where I will be at exactly what time. I wake up at 6:13 to start my run and I usually get home about 6:58. The other day, we decided to sit on our lawn for a minute after we ran to enjoy the morning because it was a holiday and there was no school or work. As we sat watching the sun rise, 2 guys ran past my house. I recognized one of the guys because I had seen him running around the same area of my block, except with a dog and a 6 pack. 2 of my favorite things. But despite my best efforts, I cannot find him again. All I want to do is meet him and maybe go on a run! People bond over running, right? I have intentionally lagged when I get to my house in hopes that he will run by again, but it is to no avail. I need another holiday just to find out what street exactly he lives by. Creepy, I know. But I will not give up until the day I move away, just in case.

When I got home from work today, my dad was talking to me about our trip. My little sister was nearby and she turns to me and asks me where I am going to change my money from US dollars to Puerto Rican ones. I told her that it is the same here as it is there, and I can just use normal dollars. She looks at me really confused, and she asks where exactly PR is. I tell her just below Florida. Her whole entire face lights up as she finally understands that we are in fact not going to the middle of China, where she believed PR was located. What a dork. Someone is not teaching 7th grade geography right....

Well, day 3 of being a farmer is complete. I am a professional driver and people respect me on the road. There isn't a truck that you can pass without getting a wave or 'the nod' from my fellow truckers. We bonded. I am no longer a menace to myself and others as I try to navigate a fully loaded truck off the field and onto the road. I never knew how chatty the grain bin workers were, and I had a lifetime of conversation with the guy that unloads my truck for me. Kind of awkward at first, but you learn to love them.

Sorry for my scattered thoughts. That's just how my brain works! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, I loved your description of the guy with a dog and a 6 pack. Good luck tracking him down. Also, I reeeeeeeeeeally thought this post was going to be about mom when I saw "police" in the first few sentences. Mini heart attack, I thought Eli wasn't going to have a mother. PS, good job running!!! I have somehow lost my running desire during the past month, which seems to be when you gained yours. Hmm. Robber. Also... how about you have Jared teach Corinne some geography? Put that kid to good use. And I'm still proud to have a farmer in the family!

    ReplyDelete