Monday, October 3, 2011

Free Fallin'


Today I was swept off my feet. No, not by a tall dark and handsome man. By my potato truck. Let me explain:
 We heard the weather forecast called for a chance of rain, so in preparation, my boss told me that if it started to rain I needed to pull over and tarp my truck so the potatoes didn't get wet. As promised it started to drizzle a little on my way home. I drove through most of it in like 50 feet so I knew it would be quick enough that me pulling over would be pointless. I looked ahead and saw darker clouds and I knew right then that I was headed for a much bigger storm. I pulled over and jumped out of my truck and ran to the back to start unhooking the tarp as fast as I could to try to beat some of the coming rain. I can sense these things.  Right then the storm hit and in about 5 seconds I was completely drenched. I hurried as fast as I could and scrambled up the ladder to the top of my truck so I could pull the tarp across. Right as I lifted the ginormous tarp into the air to pull it over the mound of potatoes, a humongous wind picked that tarp right out of my hands and blew it and me off the side. I kind of knew what was happening so I was able to duck and have the pole miss hitting me in the face, but landing wasn't so much fun. I landed kind of funny and hurt my back in the process. It kind of felt like someone held my head still and pushed down on my shoulders really hard, creating a kind of ripping feeling in my neck and left shoulder. Well, the tarp was hanging down off the wrong side of the truck (which is super hard to roll up, heave over the side, and get going the right way) so I called my cousin and he called in some back up for me. They fixed my problem for me and sent me on my way. I didn't love being soaking wet and in a truck with no heater, but somehow I survived and am alive to tell the tale. Also, not to brag or anything but I worked from 6:30 this morning to 9:30 tonight. That's what we like to call working dark to dark :)

2 comments:

  1. haha! this sounds really painful, but I kinda laughed at the picture that my mind made up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh em... you are just too crazy

    ReplyDelete