Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Birds and the Bees


The theme of this month is 'hurt and/or kill as many animals as possible while working.' Today we were working in Acequia and I was just mowing along minding my own business. I was in this little space where there was a wall in front of me and a wall next to me. I was mowing close to the sidewalk when suddenly something caught my attention. I was mostly paying attention to keeping it in a straight line, so when I saw this little brown thing I thought it was just a stick or some wood chips. Turns out it was a bird with a broken wing sitting in the corner of the walls. I hit it with my front tire of the mower and it flew up in the air to try to get away, but since its wing was broken, it only managed to fly straight at my face. It scared me so bad I screamed, and then tried to go forward, saw the wall, then backed up as fast as I could. The bird was trying to get away from me and fly at the same time, and was failing miserably at both. Finally I got backed up enough that it landed, and hobbled through the grass and into a nearby bush. It stayed there for awhile, regained its energy and flew onto the roof where I never saw it again. I, of course, needed some time to recuperate from my bird attack and took a second before I finished the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment