Monday, July 25, 2011

Every Breath You Take

Every time I have seen a dead bird, it is exactly that. Dead. I see them and wonder to myself how they died or how long they have been there. Today, I witnessed a bird die. Right in front of my eyes. I went to the back of this place we were mowing and I saw it. I didn't hit it or even come close to hitting it, because I am now a pro at not running over things. I got really close to it and it just kind of looked up at me. I looked down at it and tried to see how close I could get without it flying away. Well, it didn't actually fly so I gave up on that game and just stared at it some more. I kept mowing and when I came back I saw it teeter this way and that and then it just toppled over on its side, closed its eyes and laid still. I was there for him as he took his last breaths. I'd like to say I held his wing and comforted him in his last moments, but I didn't. Because dead or alive, birds are kind of gross and germy. But I did feel sad, and Cheri gave him a nice burial in the back field. Minus the bury part because we didn't have a shovel or the time.

Also, in my spare time I like to play the part of Santa Clause. At some apartments we were at, I found this little toy car in the grass. Instead of running it over possibly reducing it to shreds, I picked it up. This little 5 year old girl was watching me and sitting on top of the heater box in the grass I was mowing, so as I went by I gave it to her. Her face immediately lit up and she ran as fast as she could to show her little brother what she had. I found another car in another section of grass and she was back, sitting in the same spot, so I gave her that one too. She was too excited for those toys. What a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment