Wednesday, August 31, 2011

BEST DAY EVER!!

My sweatshirt came in the mail! I got it 50% off online, and I love it. It is soft, lovable, cuddly, warm, and new. Call it a boyfriend if you will. Excuse my ridiculous face, I was a little excited. 

Points if you know what this is from... .

Also, today I started my new job. You may now refer to me as 'Farmer Joe'. I understand I am not a boy, but isn't that the most general term for farmers? I drove a truck. A huge one. With air compression brakes (or whatever they're called) and everything. I had my cousins husband, Blake help me unload one time, then I did it 3 times all by myself. For all of you city folk out there like I was, for you to understand how cool I am, let me explain: First, you have to have the little tractor fill your bed up with grain. Then you have to strap on all the tarps and straps and bungee cords and secure everything. Then you drive out to the grain bins. You have to stop at the weigh station, get weighed, get your piece of paper, then take it to the dump place. You give the paper to the guy to sign to show you were there, start unstrapping and undoing all the cords and start the little conveyor belt going to get the grain falling. Then you have to wait till it empties, close all the hatches, make sure the tarp is secure and open for more grain, and go back to the weigh station, weigh yourself again,  give the paper back and get the receipt. Then you go back to the field, take the receipt to the receipt man (may have forgotten his name) and then do it all over again. It is thrilling! I actually don't mind doing it, I was a little nervous with a huge truck full of grain and all the stories Blake told me about trucks taking corners too fast and tipping over. You can say I took them at about negative 3 miles an hour. At the dump place, the same little guy was there to sign my paper and supervise and we became best friends. He called me 'Little Miss' and  'Young Lady' and 'Miss' and occasionally my name when he learned it, and we talked and talked. He is the grandfather of one of the girls that graduated from high school the year before me, so we talked about her, and me, and him, and everything that you can cover in a 20 minute time frame. He even said 'see you tomorrow young lady' so I think we are best friends. We're exchanging friendship bracelets tomorrow.

Well, I know I will have a lot more to say throughout this new period of a fun new job, so we can probably end it here. Happy farming!

3 comments:

  1. For some reason, I have never been more proud of you, young lady! I didn't think I'd like having a farmer in the family, but I really do!!! I liked the negative 3 mph part too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was this complaining about not having any friends to me earlier? It sounds like you are doing great! I'm almost jealous of this guy and the friendship you are building with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and you're friendship bracelets.. you are a funny little lady :) Also, I have absolutely no idea what that cute little sweatshirt of yours is from.

    ReplyDelete