Monday, August 22, 2011

Today is Monday.

Forget the Birds and the Bees, lets talk about the birds and the grasshoppers. For the past few weeks, every single time I mow the biggest section at the cemetery, the birds go crazy. They fly really low to the grass and sometimes they dive bomb me a little. It is slightly terrifying. I always thought they were trying to protect their eggs that they laid in the grass, and then I thought if they were dumb enough to make a nest on the ground, they deserved to be squished! Well that is kind of mean, but you get the point. Well today I found out that they are not in fact protecting their eggs, they are looking for food! Grasshoppers to be more specific. I found this out by mowing along and having not 1, but 4 land on me, all successively within 10 minutes. One landed right on my lap and thought that it was going to stay there for awhile, one landed on my arm, one flew at my face (ew), and one grazed my arm with a big, wet, solid feel to it. I did not love that. These are not your everyday grasshoppers. They are on steroids I am pretty sure. These things are massive. No wonder the birds just have to swoop down, you can see them from a mile away! Not my favorite creatures in the world. Ladybugs on the other hand are welcome to crawl on my legs anytime they want, and they do. You may recall me expressing displeasure in my job*, and today was so horrible I came home from work and asked my little (well actually quite large) brother to push me down the stairs so maybe I could break/fracture something and be done working. What I didn't realize was how serious he took me. He came up from behind when I had just turned my back and pushed as hard as he could. I grabbed the door hinge in the nick (knick? nik?) of time and did not fall to my death. I have to be careful from now on and convey when I actually am kidding or not. Close call.

*The highlights of today were:
    My mowers steering belt snapping in half (no steering, no moving)
    Same mower running out of gas which resulted in it not starting for 1/2 an hour because there were bubbles in the gas tube
    One man short on our 'crew' so we had to work extra late
    The sun decided to heat up to 96 degrees this afternoon
    My phone died in the middle of the day
    and the drunk man asleep (or dead) in the back of the church pavilion, laying face down in the grass, beer bottle and all. -Also traumatizing me for life-
(Don't worry, by the time we finished and loaded everything up, he was gone. Whether picked up by some buddies, or some animals, we will never know)

 

7 comments:

  1. i like you a lot. and i like the name of this blog... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you meant the birds were landing on you. I was concerned with how calm you were about that. That would be yuck! Also, is it the crows? Because they are crazy in that cemetery! Also, only one cemetery day left! Also, I didn't love your phone dying...or your ignoring me...whichever the case may be. Also, that dead man story is the creepiest thing I've ever heard! Also, I agree with Taylor. And that's the end of this ridiculously long comment. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider this Facebook and consider me liking both of your comments. And Cas: Yes! The crows were on a rampage and then the little tiny flittery birds that skim the grass top

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, I also thought the birds were landing on you! I was surprised by your calm reaction. WHOA, I read the rest of Cassie's comment after I wrote that last sentence. Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guys, it was the grasshoppers that landed on me. Not the birds. Who knew so much clarification was necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew what you were talking about.. that makes me favorite, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think that's what that means TG. Also, Casey and I are obviously soul sisters!:)

    ReplyDelete